Review : All 8 Rolex Submariner watches !7:38 am
First introduced, almost 60 years ago, the Rolex Submariner is one of the most popular and versatile watches from the brand. It has undergone some minor and major changes in the style, design and functions, whilst keeping the heart and soul of the watch intact. A first of its kind, the Submariner was designed specifically for underwater exploration and diving.
The Submariner collection basically consists of eight wonderful models, all of which we will review in detail here. Among the eight, there are two design variations – seven of the models feature a date window while one doesn’t. Let’s start here:
1. Rolex Submariner Date in Steel with Green Dial (Ref: 116610LV)
A quintessential divers’ watch, the Submariner Date is the result of the steady evolution of perfecting every aspect of the timepiece. An indispensable instrument for any diver, the watch is water-resistant up to 300 metres. The 40mm oyster case uses 904L stainless steel, a material mainly used for high-end technology, aerospace and chemical industries which enables the watch to have maximum resistance against corrosion. The green dial of the watch matches perfectly with the silver steel body. Add to that the Chromalight display on the dial which ensures an eight hour long distinctive blue glow with uniform radiance throughout. It also features an oyster bracelet equipped with a folding Oysterlock safety clasp and a Rolex Glidelock extension system that allows the wearer to adjust the size of the bracelet without the help of any tools. The rotatable Cerachrom bezel has a 60-minute graduation engraved on it that enables a diver to accurately monitor their diving time. Cerachrom is unaffected by exposure to sunlight, chlorinated or sea water. Powered by the Calibre 3135, a self-winding mechanical movement, the watch is a certified Superlative Chronometer which is inclusive of a COSC and Rolex certification after casing.
2. Rolex Submariner Date in White Gold with Blue Dial (Ref: 116619LB)
The 40mm white gold Submariner Date is a benchmark in its genre. With a water-resistance of up to 300 metres, the material used for this watch is concocted from Rolex’s own exclusive foundry which has the ability to cast the highest quality 18 ct gold. Made from the purest materials, the gold is formed with great attention paid to quality and excellence. The blue coloured dial of the watch matches perfectly with the 18 ct white gold. The Chromalight display on the dial ensures a steady blue glow for eight hours straight. Inspiring a rugged elegance of its own, the watch is equipped with an oyster bracelet and clasp with a Glidelock technology that ensures comfort and ease. Housing an in-house self-winding mechanical movement Calibre 3135, the Rolex Submariner is a singularly reliable piece of Haute Horlogerie. The monobloc case features a screw down case back with a winding crown showcasing their signature Rolex logo. The crown is fitted with the patented Triplock triple waterproofness system, making this watch as impermeable to water as Fort Knox.
3. Rolex Submariner(Without Date) in Steel with Black Dial (Ref: 114060)
The only watch in the entire collection that does not include a date display, the Submariner is a watch that is simple, attractive and reliable. The case is made of high-quality 904L stainless steel that is extremely corrosion resistant and highly polishable. The absence of the date window in the black dial enhances the overall look of the dial without distracting an onlooker with other details. The Submariner is powered by an in-house Calibre 3130, a perpetual self-winding mechanical movement. The dial of the watch is distinctively recognisable with large luminescent markers, an important function to incorporate in a divers’ watch. The hour, minute and seconds hands are in white gold which looks attractive against the black backdrop of the dial. The unidirectional bezel is manufactured by a hard, corrosion resistant ceramic – Cerachrom, which is virtually scratch-proof, while the numerals and graduations are coated in platinum. Water-resistant to up to 300 metres, the Rolex Submariner is comfortably at home on land and sea.
4. Rolex Submariner Date in Yellow Gold with Black Dial (Ref: 116618LN)
A classic design from Rolex, the Submariner is one of its most popular and easily recognised watches in the world. Swiftly gaining iconic status, this version is equipped with the distinctive black dial and 60-minute graduated engravings on the rotatable bezel. The solid link Oyster bracelet with the revolutionary Glidelock technology is supremely useful. The 40mm oyster case is made of 18 ct gold, cast exclusively at the Rolex foundry. Made from the purest of metals, the quality of the material used speaks volumes of Rolex’s commitment to excellence. The gold indexes against the backdrop of a black dial are striking yet understated. Housing a self-winding mechanical movement, the Calibre 3135 is a certified Swiss chronometer that offers precision and resistance against shocks and temperature variations. The graduated rotatable Cerachrom bezel is available in vibrant colours like green, blue and black, and retains its vibrancy over time. The date display window at 3 o’clock with a cyclops lens is signature Rolex. The Submariner Date is truly a piece of timeless beauty on your wrist.
5. Rolex Submariner Date in Steel with Black Dial (Ref: 116610LN)
Mankind, as mentioned before, is said to be an inquisitive lot. The divers’ watch is the result of our curiosity and an insatiable thirst for adventure. The classic black dial against a steel watch is reminiscent of the original Submariner. Clocking in a power reserve of approximately 48 hours, the timepiece is powered by a perpetual, mechanical, self-winding Calibre 3135 which has been manufactured by Rolex itself. The watch is capable of offering the wearer an instantaneous date with a rapid setting along with a stop-seconds for precision. The 40mm diameter of the watch is perfect for any wrist size, while the case also sits perfectly on any wrist, courtesy the apt case dimensions. Providing a snug fit with exceptional ease and comfort, the Submariner is also equipped with a special Rolex Glidelock technology that will allow easy adjustment of the bracelet. For a divers’ watch, the dial is highly legible with a Chromalight display with long-lasting blue luminescence.
6. Rolex Submariner Date in Yellow Gold with Blue Dial (Ref: 116618LB)
The 40mm yellow gold oyster case is a quintessential divers’ watch with a monobloc middle case and a screw-down case back. The characteristic fluting of the case back is sealed shut with a special tool exclusive to Rolex watchmakers only. The knurling effect incorporated on the outer side of the bezel warrants excellent grip too, especially under water. An icy blue dial against the backdrop of a warm gold watch might be a difficult combination to pull off, but Rolex does it effortlessly with panache. While the numerals and graduations on the bezel are coated in gold, the base of the unidirectional bezel is coated with a blue scratch-resistant Cerachrom insert in ceramic. The watch is water-resistant up to 300 metres (approximately a thousand feet). Not an easy feat to accomplish unless it’s Rolex! The movement that commands the Submariner Date is a Calibre 3135 mechanical movement with a paramagnetic blue Parachrom hairspring oscillator that provides precision and stability. Clocking in a power reserve of 48 hours with a Superlative Chronometer certification, the Submariner Date is a truly functional watch with a stylish persona.
7. Rolex Submariner Date in Steel and Yellow Gold (Rolesor) with Black Dial (Ref: 116613LN)
A classic black and gold colour combination rarely ever goes wrong! The Rolex Submariner Date encompasses a black dial with steel and yellow gold also known as Rolesor. The solid Oyster three-link bracelet incorporates an immaculately polished Rolesor. It comes equipped with a folding Oysterlock safety clasp that prevents accidental opening of the bracelet, keeping it securely in place with a revolutionary Glidelock technology. The black colour Cerachrom ceramic coated unidirectional bezel marked and graduated in gold, adds more style and glamour to the already illustrious timepiece. The monobloc middle case houses a self-winding perpetual Calibre 3135 movement with a date display complication. The case surface is brushed while the sides are mirror-polished. With an exquisite case finishing, Rolex surely delivers perfection with clear and crisp joining lines. The screw-down crown with the triplock triple waterproofness system enables the watch to stay completely waterproof even at a depth of 300 metres. A scratch-resistant sapphire crystal and a Cyclops lens over the date display is a unique addition to the dial of the watch. This is a watch that could do no wrong. Playing to every man’s secret desire, this Rolex Submariner Date is every watch lover’s ultimate timepiece.
8. Rolex Submariner Date in Steel and Yellow Gold (Rolesor) with Blue Dial (Ref: 116613LB)
The last one of the collection, the Rolex Submariner Date with a blue dial and a dual-tone bracelet is uniquely attractive. Catering to someone who wants the best of both worlds, this particular watch is sure to satisfy every bit of your inner desires. The dual-tone bracelet uses an exclusive combination of gold and steel called the Rolesor, with an innovative Glidelock technology specially developed by Rolex itself. It is a true Rolex signature which combines the lustrous and noble features of gold with the strength and reliability that steel provides. Extracting the best properties from both the materials, Rolex produced timepieces inculcating its much acclaimed Rolesor back in the 1930s. A certified Superlative Chronometer, the watch is driven by a self-winding, in-house mechanical movement Calibre 3135. The flat-three-piece link, yellow Rolesor bracelet adds a uniquely conceptualised contemporary charm. Evidently, the blue dial of the watch perfectly complements the yellow Rolesor.
9 Facts About The Rolex Submariner:
- Rolesor: A uniquely combined material of steel and gold exclusively concocted and patented at Rolex’s dedicated foundry.
- Cerachrom Bezel: Moulded from an extremely hard ceramic material making the graduated bezel impervious to scratches and presenting an exceptional lustre. Developed and patented by Rolex in 2005.
- Cyclops Lens: An extra piece of sapphire crystal that is fixed to the crystal above the date window that magnifies the date for easier reading.
- Oyster Case: Guaranteeing a waterproof depth of up to 300 metres, the Submariner’s Oyster case provides optimal protection against dust, pressure and shocks too!
- 904L Steel: A type of steel that is highly resistant to corrosion. It is mainly used in high-technology, aerospace and chemical industries for its highly polishable and corrosion-resistant properties.
- Chromalight Display: A necessary feature for a divers’ watch is its visibility underwater. The Chromalight display used in the Rolex Submariner emits a blue light that glows up to eight hours straight with a uniform radiance.
- Glidelock Extension System: This extension system featured in the Submariner oyster bracelet allows fine adjustments of the bracelet without the help of any tools. Additionally, the oysterlock clasp prevents accidental opening of the bracelet.
- Superlative Chronometer: A certification exclusive only to Rolex watches! The watch in addition to being a COSC certified watch also undergoes specific tests controlled by Rolex in its own laboratories creating a benchmark in the world of mechanical watches.
- Triplock Winding Crown: A patented triple waterproofness system that is specially designed for divers’ watch that resists water pressure up to 300 metres on the Submariner models and 3,900 metres on the Rolex DeepSea model.
Not Just A Timepiece
The Rolex Submariner hosts an iconic design with robust functionalities. From a quick dive underwater to a royal gala dinner, this watch is equally adaptable anywhere you choose to wear it. Available at Ethoswatches.com, with and without a date function. Despite the design and style accolades, the Rolex Submariner brings home, it is by and by, at heart, a tool watch. Albeit a tool watch with a slick design!
Which Rolex Submariner is your favourite? Tell us in the comments section below!
Features Writer, The Watch Guide
A budding watch enthusiast with an undying love for crime fiction and a soft spot for fantasy too!
- In-Depth Review of the Corum Golden Bridge Round – Showcasing Beauty That Lies Within
- In-depth Review Of All 4 Rolex Yacht-Master IIs With Prices In India
- Hands On Review: The Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Carbotech
- An Exclusive Interview with Mr Jacques Alain Vuille – Global Vice President and Member of Board, Corum