Buying Your First Rolex?12:46 am
Rolex as a brand requires no introduction. It’s a technological must-have from the world of horology. Owning a Rolex watch is like stating to the world that you have made it. It is the pinnacle of a wealthy man’s lifestyle. Now wealthy does not mean people who have a lot of money. It is when you have spent a good amount of your money on all the trivial items like fancy parties and cars and are moving up the ladder towards a more refined taste. A Rolex owner is the one who has been there and done that and hence has moved on to the finer things in life.
Rolex watches are a signature of expert craftsmanship that goes into watchmaking. It represents the age old tradition in its purest form. The worth of Rolex watches is more sentimental than monetary. It can be a family heirloom, a mark of a legacy or a trophy for a commendable achievement. Eventually it comes down to Rolex being an important landmark in any watch enthusiasts life.
Now if one makes such a large investment on a treasured timepiece, the stakes automatically get high. If people ask me weather Rolex is the best timepiece in the world I would say that surely it is a piece of luxury aspired by all but one must consider its true requirement before buying. Rolex comes out with a limited number of designs and movements and hence it stands for exclusivity. If someone is indeed clear on their motives of buying a Rolex, below are a few tips we would like to share so that you can make an informed decision.
Deciding On The Model
One of the first and most important decisions to make while buying a Rolex is to choose which model to go ahead with. The design and features of each Rolex varies and it is necessary to buy something which matches your requirement. For example, the Submariner is a classic Rolex model which is perfect for those who like an outdoorsy watch and are interested in water sport. Even if you are not, the Submariner gives very rugged and edgy appeal. The Datejust on the other hand is a more classic looking Rolex model which was introduced in 1945 and is way more elegant. The Yacht-Master is a sleek, sporty style statement with a hint of elegance. Each model has its own speciality and depending on usability the collections are segregated. The ladies collection starts from more petite dial sizes in the Lady Datejust models to more mature and bigger dial sizes in the Datejust Lady 31 collection.
Where To Buy
The second question which pops up in the mind is that from where you should buy your first Rolex. Since Rolex is a very big investment, first time buyer really need to think about where they should go and buy it from. Many sellers in India smuggle Rolex watches or sell fake and refurbished watches. You need to go to authorised Rolex retailer to get the best options in original Rolex watches. Buying a Rolex online is a very tricky affair hence always buy from retailers who have an on ground setup as well. Buying a Rolex from websites like ebay or shopclues is never a good idea. At Ethoswatches, we give you the whole watch catalogue online so you can choose and then physically check it at the store and then make a payment online or offline to purchase the watch. Ethoswatches also provides you with a warranty card.
How To Spot A Fake Rolex
1) If the price is too good to be true then you must consider that the watch could be a fake.
2) If you have trouble viewing the magnified date, then it could be a fake as Rolex Cyclops lens are near perfection
3) Rolex watches are 100% waterproof hence for extra surety you can do a water test. Dip the Rolex into water for a few seconds. If you see any leakage then the watch is not genuine
4) Case backs on any genuine Rolex are not made of glass. With the exception of two extremely rare models from the 1930s, all modern Rolexes have steel case backs.
5) If any misspelling is spotted on the watch then it must be a fake
6) Usually on the interior of the band of the watch, engravings showing the model and serial number can be found. After examining them with a magnifying glass, anything less than perfectly cut should be called into question.
These tips will help you make an informed decision about buying your first Rolex watch. For any further information or help regarding Rolex watches you can always contact our luxury watch experts on +91 8725028888 or +91 8725028889 and they will be happy to assist you.
By Disha Birdie
Sr. Features Writer, The Watch Guide
A budding writer and watch enthusiast with a passion for discovering Swiss watchmaking know-how.
- Hands On Review: The Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 Carbotech
- An Exclusive Interview with Mr Jacques Alain Vuille – Global Vice President and Member of Board, Corum
- In-Depth Review Of The Oris Aviation Big Crown ProPilot- The World’s First “Automatic” Watch With A Mechanical Altimeter
- In Depth Review of The New Carl F. Bucherer Manero Flyback Chronograph