Night-time and underwater visibility of watch-dials were two challenges faced by the watches made in the 1940s era. Officine Panerai took up the job of crafting a watch with these unsuitable problems. These problems were taken care of in 1949 when Panerai came out with a groundbreaking solution with the Panerai Luminor collection. Panerai was successful in identifying a luminescent substance that changed the course of watch-making for generations to come. Named after this invaluable substance, the Panerai Luminor collection set a new benchmark for visibility in hostile conditions.
The Panerai Luminor collection is adorned with a brilliant solution to further enhance the robustness and reliability of a watch, the lever protecting the crown. This helps in making the crown more water-tight as well as shielding it more effectively. In 1956 Officine Panerai patented the distinctive crown protection bridge that the Panerai Luminor is renowned for. Whereas, the integrated lugs provide better protection and comfort.
Apart from an in-house movement, the crown protector, and the cushion-shaped case, the Luminor collection also features a small seconds window at 9 o’clock apart from the GMT, Chrono Monopulsante, Base, and Left-handed versions.
On 8th December, history was made by Panerai models which managed to garner more than 1 million euros as proceeds at the ‘Panerai Only’ auction by the renowned Artcurial Auction house for Officine Panerai. Two vintage models, a Luminor and a Marina Militare were auctioned off at more than million euros significantly much higher than any initial auction estimates.